Tuesday, November 22, 2011

I suppose it's time

to give another fantasy update.

League 1: The family league, 1st place of 12.
This team is so good it's almost boring. I'm now sitting comfortably in first place, 2 games and 97 points for ahead of second place after defending this position from then second place teams in back-to-back weeks. Ben Roethlisberger has emerged to be the quarterback I thought I was getting. I've lost my boner for Roddy White (yes even after 147 yards this week). My LeSean McCoy love has panned out for a second straight year, and I now have a raging hard-on for Arian Foster. For those just joining the show, I have those two elite backs by swinging one helluva trade, basically giving up Fred Jackson for Foster and Nicks. I'm trying not to count my chickens before they hatch though. In the past two years, the number 1 team from the regular season has been beat in the first round of playoffs in this league. That said, it's looking pretty good for me to pull off the three-peat as none of my players are in a position to be sat come week 16.

League 2: A miraculous 6th place of 12. $10 buy-in.
This team hasn't exactly panned out. My love for Mario Manningham was clearly misplaced considering the emergence of Victor Cruz. I though he was just as good a receiver as Nicks, but after watching a few games, it's pretty clear that he isn't. Andre Johnson has been injured for almost two months and now has a new QB. Between getting nicked up and inconsistent QB play, Dez Bryant hasn't been able to be all the beast I now need him to be. So there's the foundation I wanted to carry this team... crumbling. I just hope to god that McFadden stays hurt. Otherwise I don't have a running back to speak of. Both Denver backs have been injured off and on all year, and now Moreno is on IR and McGahee is hurt pretty bad. It seems that going for quantity over quality with the RBs in this league wasn't the best idea. Here's hoping a couple Drew Brees 500 yd 5 TD games can carry my sorry ass into the playoffs and a shot at at least recouping my buy-in.

I think I'm going to have to institute a couple rules for myself going forward based on my learnings of this year so far:

1)No WRs in the first round. Either bite the bullet on a RB you aren't so hot on, or take a shot on one of the elite QBs.
2)2 RBs by the end of round 4.

Basically, good WR play is nice, but quite unpredictable and the difference between rounds 2 and 3 vs a round 1 guy isn't all that huge. You can bet I won't be waiting until round 6 again to grab a RB any time soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment