Tuesday, September 27, 2011

blog the blog

Well, believe it or not I am actually at work right now.  I got really bored and decided to write a blog post.  I’m not sure when I’ll post it, but you can be assured that this was definitely written on company time.

Fantasy football has been a mix of good and bad this season.  I’ll briefly recap my 4 teams I highlighted earlier in the year.

Team 1: 3-0, first place (out of twelve), $10 buy-in.
There’s really very little to say other than this team is being single-handedly carried week-in and week-out by Tom Brady.  Daniel Thomas has emerged as a nice replacement for Peyton Hillis (who was sick last week) and very well may end up replacing BJGE for the rest of the season if he keeps putting up these kinds of numbers.  It’s a ½ point PPR league and the Johnsons—Andre and Stevie—have been doing well.  Brandon Marshall may not have ridiculous numbers thus far, but he is getting plenty of targets to keep him as a starter.  If he falters, I have Devery Henderson and/or Mike Thomas to replace him (both have been having good years thus far and make a viable flex option).  It’s nice when you’re forced to choose between benching Daniel Thomas and The Law Firm every week.  My depth is solid: Flacco has had some amazing games and Woodhead/The Law Firm make for formidable running back depth.  Overall, I’m excited for what the rest of the year will bring.

Team 2: 2-1, third place (out of twelve), $25 buy-in.
For obvious reasons, I was really worried when Vick had a concussion last week and then a “broken hand” this week.  I’ll have to monitor his status, although with Flacco playing the way he has, I’m not too worried if Vick misses some time.  I was nervous when Knowshon had injuries of his own, although Ryan Matthews sure has stepped it up and has been a great #2 RB behind McCoy.  I also have Daniel Thomas in this league, so my RB depth is amazing.  When Dez Bryant went down it gave me obvious concern, but Mike Wallace has carried my receiving corps.  Witten is still one of the best TEs in the game.  My only reason to worry: I have no depth at WR and 2 share the same bye on week 5.  I’m hitting the waiver wire as we speak…

Team 3: 0-3, twelfth place (out of twelve), $10 buy-in.
This league is depressing.  It’s with guys that I’ve never played with before (Bockmed included) and I really felt like I had a crappy draft.  Players didn’t fall my way and I felt that based on my randomly assigned spot in the draft I missed the tail end of every tier before the snake came back to my position.  Ray Rice has been good, but injuries/inconsistencies from EVERY OTHER PLAYER ON MY FREAKING TEAM hasn’t helped whatsoever.  My bench sucks because I gambled on CJ Spiller and Pierre Garcon to have favorable situations.  Fred Jackson and Peyton Manning have thus far destroyed that gamble.  AJ Green has been a nice surprise, although now that I finally decided to start him he decided to start sucking it up.  If Matt Ryan, Mike Williams (TB), and Hakeem Nicks start playing like they did last year I might (emphasis on might) have a shot at making the playoffs.  Otherwise I have a crappy team with really no one worthy of being kept next season.  Good riddance. 

Team 4: 1-2, seventh place (out of twelve), $50 buy-in.
This team should be doing so much better.  I’ve had consecutive weeks (which I absolutely hate) where I’ve scored more points that basically every other team….with the exception of my opponent.  Case in point: I’m 7th by record, but have the 3rd most points of any team in the league.  It is a full-point PPR and needless to say McCoy, Andre, and Maclin have done a great job thus far.  I’m nervous because it sounds like Maclin may now be out for a game or two, which means I have to start Bess at WR#2.  McCoy and Turner are one of the best RB duos in this league, but with Maclin down it means I have to start Daniel Thomas at flex.  If he keeps playing like he has the last 2 weeks, I’ll be just fine with this.  My downfall has been inconsistency between my TE and QB options.  Pettigrew went balls out this last week, but the first two he did very little.  Thus far I’ve decided to flip-flop QBs based on who has the better matchup (I have Freeman and Flacco).  I started Freeman weeks 1 and 3 and Flacco week 2.  For anyone paying attention to fantasy football, you know that Flacco went off weeks 1 and 3 and Freeman had a much better week 2.  So basically I keep leaving points on the bench.  Hopefully my luck turns around.


Well, it’s time to actually do some work (who am I kidding, I’ll do it in about an hour after I’m done checking all of my fantasy sports) and extract some GIS info from a shapefile.  Wish me luck.

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't you hate leaving points on the bench? Week 1 Mike Tolbert comes to mind.

    ReplyDelete