Monday, May 16, 2011

it was a good effort

i was in wisconsin this weekend.  i mention this because for quite some time i have really wanted to try dogfish head beer.  it doesn't matter what kind...anything.  for the longest time wisconsin carried dogfish head at practically every liquor store in the state (a bit of an exaggeration, but you get the idea).

so i assembled a list of about 10 different beers i was going to buy and try.  unfortunately, when i tried a few wisconsin liquor stores...i found out that dogfish head no longer distributes to wisconsin.  what a joke.

needless to say, we made a desperate plea to the company after having a few beers made by other companies. 

"Dear Mr. Calagione,
I am a grad student from Fargo, North Dakota. This weekend I traveled to Wisconsin with the intent of buying some DFH. Prior to leaving, I went on your website to make sure that DFH was still distributing in Wisconsin. The website said that I could still find DFH in the cities of Menomonie and Hudson. However, after going to 4 Menomonie liquor stores and 2 Hudson stores, I was heartbroken to find out that I wasn't able to taste your renowned beers on account of the fact that you are no longer distributing in the state. It was a disappointing 320 mile trip.
I don't know the legality of what I'm proposing, but is there any way that you can ship beer to Fargo? To my apartment? To anywhere not 320 miles away? I'm a huge fan and just want to get ahold of some DFH. Thanks for your time,
--Ahmed"
This is the response I got today while at work:
"Ahmed,
 
Thanks for reaching out and asking about our off-centered brews.  That’s very unfortunate you drove so far and were not able to find what you were looking for.  Sorry for any inconveniences this may  have caused however  we do state on our Fish Finder page to call ahead to make sure the beer is in stock. Since we are no longer distributing to WI those stores will eventually stop showing on the Fish Finder page.  Also, due to federal law a brewery is not allowed to ship directly to consumers.  All breweries have to ship through the proper distribution channels.  Some online retailers may be able to ship directly to you but this will all depend on your State laws which I am unfamiliar with.  Good luck on your searches and thanks again for your desire and support.
 
Cheers!
 
Bryan Herdman                          
Sales Administrative Analyst
Dogfish Head Craft Brewery"

1 comment:

  1. Well I guess that means you need to open up a liquor store or at least forge the necessary documents so that they will send it straight to you. You might have to buy a pallet or two, but I don't really see any downside to having a pallet of beer.

    ReplyDelete