Tuesday, November 30, 2010

soco 100, lime, and coke

i just got back from night class.  in the last 5 minutes i've had 2 stiff tumblers, so that's probably an indication of how the night went.

let me tell you:  jeanne was at it again!  she began the class by saying, "professor, i have a question.  how do you expect us to write up our two assignments and submit our term project by december 8th?  you're not giving us enough time to complete it."

as i sat in my seat snickering to myself, i couldn't help but think, "wow, jeanne, get with the program.  i know you're still stuck in 1997, but really, this is ridiculous."

i am by NO means an over achiever.  but even i already have one of the assignments and the term project completed.  seriously, this class isn't THAT difficult.  but maybe that's just my ripe old 22-year-old body talking.

i don't have class on wednesdays, so i'm looking forward to sleeping in as late as possible tomorrow.  i basically just have to finish a term paper for my other class and i'm essentially done for the semester!

i just wanted to take a moment to rant at the weather gods.  i think only a handful of people know that i'm originally from fargo.  i lived in the area until i was 9 years old.  but really, i completely forgot what a harsh winter here is like.  it's so much different than anywhere else.  we've been under a winter storm warning here for awhile, and let me tell you--it's nothing like winter storm warnings in any parts of minnesota.

what separates the fargo area is the wind.  sure, brainerd (and even minneapolis) had blizzards.  but those "blizzards" just consisted of copious amounts of snow.  do you know what happens when you add a 40 mile per hour wind to 12 inches of snow?  you get disastrous conditions.  cars won't start, streets don't stay plowed, and accidents happen.

my class this morning was in barry hall, which is located in the heart of downtown fargo.  it's only about 2 blocks north of my apartment.

it took me fifteen minutes to walk there this morning.  the wind blew head on and at one point literally pushed me backwards as i was standing on a sidewalk entirely covered by ice.  by the time i opened the door to the building, my face was frozen and i greeted my graduate advisor with a snotsicle.  i'm sure he appreciated it.

so for those of you hours away from here thinking you "have it bad" this winter, just be glad that you can at least walk forward.

bockmed, i love you and am glad we got to hang out over thanksgiving.  i cannot wait to be reunited with my blogging buddy.

oh, and for the record:  level 18!

1 comment:

  1. The scariest thing I've ever done is walk 2 miles from the OB to my house last February. It wasn't even snowing, but the entire way I was facing 40 MPH prevailing winds with gusts of god knows what. Fargo is brutal in the winter

    ReplyDelete