Friday, October 26, 2012

quiz results


Well, there you have it.

Just over one-quarter of my students failed.  Roughly one in ten got a "D."  About one-fifth received a "B."  I'm satisfied with the number of students that got an "A" on the quiz.

It should be mentioned that if we add the categories for those receiving an "A" and "B," we find that a majority of the class actually did well.

I know this is pretty sick of me to get entertainment out of this.  But on more than one quiz I noticed that students had clearly erased answers and decided to choose "false" instead of "true" (or vice versa).  It was quite obvious that they answered the questions, realized all five answers were the same, and then went back and changed some answers they were "unsure" of.  Am I horrible or what?!

I really can't wait to see how the rest of this semester goes.  It should be stressed that I do have some really exceptionally bright students.  There are two in particular that if I could just sit down and chat with them I would love to get them (already) thinking about grad school.  I have one gentleman in my class that is from the-middle-of-nowhere (we're talking even more rural than the typical small town in this godforsaken state) and I am continually in awe of how articulate he conveys his critiques of what we learn.  His abstract thinking is probably more impressive than mine.  Students like him make me have hope in the upcoming generations.

All in all, this was a fun little experiment.  I probably won't do this again this semester, but if I come up with any more evil/sadistic plots, I'll be sure to share them.

No comments:

Post a Comment