Thursday, January 12, 2012

We can talk about football on this blog, right?

We can?

Oh. OK. Good. Here we go. My thoughts on this weekend's playoff games:

The AFC home teams will win. Shocker, I know. If only to end the Tebow talk, I hope Denver loses. Which they will. Tebow can't keep up with Brady and the Patriots offense. Especially not in Foxborough.

As much as I love to root for the underdog, especially when it's the Texans (I'm not sure why), I don't think the rookie QB will be able to do enough to win it. I think this game will be close; both teams have a solid running game and defense. But I think you have to give the edge to Flacco, the extra prep time, and home field advantage.

The NFC side is a bit more interesting to me. We've seen the Giants almost beat the Packers before. However, I think it took everything Eli, Pierre-Paul and the rest of the Giants had to come that close. And I think that the Green Bay coaching staff will learn more from that game than the Giants will, and we'll see more creative ways to beat and stop the Giants. Rodgers leads the Pack to a 2-score victory.

Simply because I picked them early in the season, I have to stick with the Saints. But it's going to be tough. I predict a defensive battle with a winning last second/OT drive by Brees for the win. The Saints have been able to run the ball effectively this year, but the 49ers are the best run D in the league, which may force NO to become one-dimensional. On top of that, the Saints haven't been the best outdoors, but the weather should be nice in San Fran this weekend, so I see that as being less of an issue. One thing I don't think enough people realize is the Saints defense's ability to take away one aspect of an opponent's offense. I think Frank Gore is going to get shut down, leaving the 49ers' less than spectacular pass attack to carry them.

Moving ahead, I see the Patriots coming out of the AFC and the Saints getting revenge in Lambeau (actually, the Packers will probably win, but hey, I'm from Minnesota). Patriots win it all.


2 comments:

  1. nice nfc predictions.

    i'll stop being a dick.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was a little over a minute away from being right about the Niners game. And be honest, who thought the pack would lose?

    ReplyDelete