Sunday, January 1, 2012

Fantasy Wrap-Up

I did it. I completed the three-peat in my family league. I'll be happy to make the playoffs next year. Next year, to give the rest of them a chance, I won't be accepting any ridiculously unfair trades randomly thrown my way. After putting up 100+ pts every week, the championship was actually quite nerve-racking. Several of my studs put up very disappointing numbers. It's nice to see LeSean McCoy, Hakeem Nicks, and Jason Witten combine for 9 points. Lucky for me, my cousin's team performed quite similarly so I had a 30 point lead going into the monday night game. She had Colston, Moore, Sproles, and Matt Bryant. I had Roddy White and John Kasay. If Lance Moore hadn't left the game or if Darren Sproles would have taken that one return all the way to the house, I probably would have lost. But I didn't, and in doing so, have earned eternal fantasy football bragging rights among my family. Thank god for Arian Foster's never-ending studliness. And for Roddy Whites return to acceptable fantasy production.

My other league just didn't go so well. For me as a team manager or for me as a co-League Manager. We haven't even collected league fees yet, and unless the winner hassles us for it, we probably won't. But I blame Harold for that. Some of the teams payed less than attention to their rosters on several occasions. I'm just not sure of the future of this league. It's got a good core, but there definitely needs to be some rule-changing and a couple players need to be booted if it's to make a successful resurrection next year. As for my team, injuries were a killer.
My starting lineup week 1:

QB Drew Brees
RB Knowshon Moreno
RB Joseph Addai
FlEX Mario Manningham
WR Andre Johnson
WR Dez Bryant
TE Vernon Davis

My starting lineup week 16:
Drew Brees
Mike Tolbert
Michael Bush
Nate Burleson
Dez Bryant
Eric Decker
Vernon Davis

As you can see, almost my entire RB/WR corps was destroyed by injury. Thankfully, Darren McFadden was also destroyed by injury, justifying my view of him as a late second round, early third RB and thus having no chance of being on any team of mine. And by going down, turning Michael Bush into a nice RB fill-in for me. But still, the amount of time that my players spent injured this year is mind-bending. I was so deep into my running backs at one point that I had to drop DeMarco Murray because he wasn't getting any touches to get anyone who was touching the ball just to throw them in my starting lineup. It hurts to see a player you were high on in the draft go nuts 2 weeks after you drop him out of necessity. And fuck Tim Tebow for never throwing to Eric Decker.

Things I was right about this season:

Loving LeSean McCoy.
Javid Best being made of fine porcelain.
DeMarco Murray being far more impressive than Tashard Choice and being arguably the best feature back in Dallas.
Drafting proven backups to risky running backs. See: Michael Bush, Willis McGahee.
Eric Decker being draftable. If only the Broncos had a QB.
Brandon Lloyd being a one-year wonder.

Things I was wrong about this season:

Taking a WR with an injury history in the first round. Never Again. Aaron Rodgers would have been a *much* better option with the 10th pick.
Thinking the 4th round is a good place to start taking running backs.
Mario Manningham.
Not taking Rob Gronkowski in the 8th round when I had the chance. Or the 9th or the 10th or the 11th or the 12th.
Vernon Davis.

No comments:

Post a Comment