Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Old School Tinikling

For whatever reason (read: I have a lab report due Friday), I found myself thinking back to early elementary school, particularly P.E. class. I think this country is raising a bunch of goddamn pussies today. Man, back in my day we did (the very basics of) this shit:

Schools weren't afraid of some bruised ankles or a bloody nose back then. We had one of these on our playground and kids would drop from the top and do backflips.

The monkey bars were metal and there was no fence between the gigantic playground and the small patch of woods where predators could easily lurk and kids could easily escape/get lost. I even kicked a kid in the balls once because he was bullying my friend and didn't get into any trouble. I hope Central Elementary (Norwood Young America, Mn) is still doing things right, but something tells me our soft society has gotten to them, too. I know the big bubble is definitely gone. I'm glad my childhood was in the 90s, because I don't think gym class would have been the same without some 60-year-old hardass yelling at 7-year-old kids while they clumsily try to avoid getting their shins clamped between some solid wooden rods.

No comments:

Post a Comment