Wednesday, March 30, 2011

is there something i should know?

i'm mostly just procrastinating right now, but i would appreciate input if anyone has it.

within the last month or so, i received 2 different letters in the mail concerning my student loans.

the first letter came in mid february.  it said, "dear student, your enrollment status has dropped below half-time.  you will be required to start re-paying your student loans on june 16th, 2011."

then i got a second letter in early march.  it said, "dear student, your enrollment status is exactly half-time.  you will be required to start re-paying your student loans on june 16th, 2011."

now, neither of these statements are true.  i am (and always have been) a full time grad student for 15 months now.  i have been taking 6 credits per spring/summer/fall semester.  (4 credits is considered full time in my program.)  my expected graduation date is december of 2011.

anyway, i called the student loan service and after 15 minutes of talking to a computer and pressing buttons, i finally got in touch with a human.  his name was something like "da'fon" or something along those terms.  (forgive my fargo ignorance, but at least i could understand most of what he said."

me: "yeah i got this letter in the mail telling me that my enrollment status has changed...?"
da'fon: "let me look up your file."
me: "sure."
(a few minutes pass)
da'fon: "well, i have your file here, and you should be getting another letter in the mail soon updating your status to full-time."
me: "great!  i was concerned that i was going to have to pay back loans starting in june...there's no way i could possibly do that!"
da'fon: "no, don't worry about it.  we have your expected graduation date of december 2015...you won't have to start paying a thing back until june of 2016."

as much as i wanted to ask, "huh?" or "what?" or "what are you talking about 2015?" i just held my tongue and said my goodbyes.

so here is where i am confused.  i know for a fact that on my FAFSA i put my expected graduation date (from my master's program) as december of 2011.  so there is no reason why i would be graduating in 2015. is there a way that my advisor/head of the department could have already admitted me into the phd program and thus that info had already been sent to the student loan services?  (but that scenario doesn't make any sense either.  why wouldn't i know about this?  how would that info already be in the hands of the student loans personnel?)

at this time, i'm not going to worry about it.  but--hypothetically speaking--if i finish my master's in december of 2011 and then don't get into a phd program...the honest ahmed would come out and play.  there is no way i could just sit on my loans for a few more years...i would definitely call back in and say, "actually, i graduated in december of 2011 and will have to start paying them back in june of 2012."

i just don't get why i would have to wait so long to pay them back...anyone know?  do grad students get a longer time to pay back loans?  (i really doubt it...but i haven't investigated into it at all.)  your input is greatly appreciated (although, by all likelihood, there was just a simple error made...nothing more, nothing less).

one last thing: bockmed may or may not be making an appearance in my apartment this weekend.  i'll keep you posted...but if he does come...i assure you some video blogging updates live from a flooded apartment complex.  take care world.

1 comment:

  1. I would say you should call them and get it straightened out sooner rather than later. Or, you can just give this a shot - http://www.theonion.com/articles/man-wakes-up-from-bender-with-financial-problems-s,19858/

    ReplyDelete